Portugal has a diverse and mature set of private and public institutions dedicated to water. Some already enjoy recognition and prestige among global markets. Others have the potential to achieve that in the future. This is the matrix of the Portuguese Water Partnership (PWP), a network of organizations that aim to develop synergies and maximize potential for the development of the water sector in the world, promoting the construction and consolidation of alliances and partnerships between national institutions and all nations engaged in sustainable water use and enhancement of water resources.
The PWP was an initiative of the former Ministry for Environment and Spatial Planning. It was formally created as an association on April 29, 2011 and its bodies were elected on June 28, 2011.
The Portuguese Water Partnership’s mission is to promote an effective link between professionals, institutions and companies in order to project the knowledge and skills of the Portuguese water sector in the world, and to catalyse opportunities in international markets and in the area of cooperation within the framework of the development of sustainable projects in line with the Sustainable Development Goals.
- Promote the sharing of knowledge and experience among Portuguese companies interested in internationalization
- Identify and support new opportunities for the development of projects and initiatives in global markets
- Promote dialogue between partners and international institutions and establish multipurpose partnerships
- Promote innovation in the water sector, facilitating cooperation between companies and research centres
- Advance the establishment of a forum for reflection on future challenges